Me and My Tree - Day One

Me and My Tree - Day One

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Details, details, details

I will admit that by nature I'm not a very patient person, so the whole idea of having to wait five years to have a Poodle Tree is a little tough to take. So, in addition to learning about pine trees and topiary techniques,I'll learn about patience. 

Right now I've got to take care of all the litttle things to make sure I'm off to a good start. First, I need to repot my tree. I don't want to plant it in the ground just yet, or ever, so I was told to get a big pot, at least twice the size of the pot it came from the nursery in. I was thinking about a ceramic pot, but boy are they expensive! So I settled on a half whiskey barrel. Either way it's goiing to be real heavy once the tree is in, so I've got to make sure I've got it where I want it in my yard. Research shows that the Scotch Pine likes full sun (don't we all) and so over the next couple of days I've got to check out the sun patterns in my backyard. The Scotch Pine also does well in a wide range of soils, but my plan is to get the finest planting soil available. Nothing but the best for my little tree!

By the way, did you know that the Scotch Pine (Scots Pine/Pinus Sylvestris) is the national tree of Scotland?!

No comments:

Post a Comment